POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Waterdrops on Glass... How? : Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Jan 2003 07:22:57
Message: <3e240121$1@news.povray.org>
You're definitely right about placing the droplets.
I've written a small include, which scatters droplets
randomly across an area (the whole thing was designed
so far only for windows), and also creates "trails":
At one spot, it starts, and moves downward (a little
randomly moving towards right or left), and leaves
very small droplets on the way, and at the end, a big droplet.
Just like those drops that get big enough to flow down.

I've uploaded a zoomed-version on the window,
http://www.digitaltwilight.de/no_lights/rain_1.jpg
Its 100kb, but shows how the results look so far. I'm
fiddling a bit with size and numbers to see if I can
get something near-realistic with this method.

I guess Rune's Particle System won't be of use, cause
it doesn't have particle-particle-interaction, and that
would be what droplets on windows are screaming for.
Perhaps I'll try to create an include file for windows, but
doing it with curved survaces and other objects... Way
too difficult. Got to have a running particle-system to do
that...
But near-realistic isn't too bad. Its all about the looks.
How did you place those droplets of yours? Using trace?
Though some look like the gravitational-pull is actually
affecting the droplet. How'd you do that?

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias